I am a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Geography and GIS at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). My dissertation research focuses on exploring the everyday life of Indonesian female domestic workers in Hong Kong. I draw on the concepts of therapeutic landscapes and networks to understand how places and social networks contribute to the health and wellbeing of domestic workers within the restrictive space-time constraints associated with their jobs. I also apply GIS, spatial analysis, and statistical methods to examine healthcare accessibility for low-income populations in my home country of Indonesia. I am passionate about teaching, research, and community outreach. I was listed multiple times on the UIUC’s “Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students” list, with “highly outstanding” evaluations for several courses including Introduction to GIS and Cities of the World. I have been awarded fellowships from the government of Indonesia and my department at UIUC, and I’ve served as president of the Geography Graduate Student Association (GGSA), community aide at the University of Illinois Housing Division, and coordinator for the Women Reading Qur’an group in Urbana-Champaign. Prior to joining the graduate program, I worked as a GIS Instructor and GIS Specialist at Esri Indonesia for almost 4 years.
Health and wellbeing of vulnerable populations; therapeutic landscapes and networks; gendered space-time constraints; GIS; spatial and statistical analysis; spatial epidemiology.
- M.S in Geography (concentration: GIS, health/medical geography), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2018)
- B.S in Geography, University of Indonesia (2012)
- Graduate College Dissertation Travel Grants ($4,995), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, April 2020
- Nelle M. Signor Graduate Scholarship in International Relations ($3,000), Illinois International Program - Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs & Global Strategies
- LAS Global Studies Course Development Grant ($3,000), College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (LAS), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, May 2020
Awards and Honors
- Charles Alexander Graduate Fellowship for Women in Geography 2020-2021 ($17,788), Fellowship package includes stipend and waiver for tuition & fees, Department of Geography and GIS, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, March 2020.
- President's Research in Diversity Travel Award, University of Illinois System, May 2020
- AAG AGSG Research Award ($150), The Applied Geography Specialty Group (AGSG), American Association of Geographers (AAG), March 2020.
- Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students, for teaching the GEOG/ESE379 (FA 2019), GEOG204 (WT 2020), and GEOG/ESE379 Online (SP 2020), the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Feb 2020.
- AAG Melinda S. Meade Travel Award ($150), The Health and Medical Geography Specialty Group (HMGSG), American Association of Geographers (AAG), Feb 2020.
Additional Campus Affiliations
- Dr. Chelsea Singleton's FAR Lab at the Department of Kinesiology & Community Health, College of Applied Health Sciences.
- Dr. Rebecca Smith’s Lab at the Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Dr. Nohra Mateus-Pinilla at Illinois Natural History Survey (INHS).
- Graduate College, SAGE (Students Advising on Graduate Education), 2020-2021
- Campus Center for Advising and Academic Services, Illinois Promise (I-Promise) Program, 2020-2021
- Graduate and Family Housing, University Housing, 2019-2022
- Gilliam, M. E, Gronemeyer, P., Chakraborty, S., Winata, F., Lyons, L. A., Miller-Hunt, C., Tuten, H. C., Debosik, S., Freeman, D., Ruiz, M. O., Mateus-Pinilla, Nohra. (2019). Impact of Unexplored and Multiple Data Sources on the Historical Distribution of Three Vector Tick Species in Illinois. Journal of Medical Entomology, XX(X), 2019, 1-12 https://doi.org/10.1093/jme/tjz235
- Syanalia, R. A., Winata, F. (2018). Decarbonizing Energy in Bali with Solar Photovoltaic: GIS-Based Evaluation on Grid-Connected System. Indonesian Journal of Energy Vol. 1 No. 2 (2018) 5- 20